Thursday, January 24, 2013

Roasted Vegetables

Maybe I am just behind in my culinary knowledge, but the last while I have discovered how amazing roasted vegetables are. I have always been one to steam or boil vegetables, but since roasting them, we have discovered a whole new world of taste! Truly, most have been amazing! Try it! We just but a little oil and salt (or whatever seasoning you want) with the vegetables on a cookie sheet and pop them in the oven. Depending on the vegetable, it can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes. Usually around 15-20. Here's a list of what we have loved - ASPARAGUS, broccoli, ZUCCHINI, summer squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes, I'm sure there are more.

Last Saturday in our Bountiful Basket, we got something that looked like this:
I surely did not know what it was so after a little research, I my best guess is something called salad savoy which is a cross between cabbage and kale. It tastes like cabbage, but the leaves are more like a lettuce or kale I suppose. Well, the recipe that looked most appealing was simply roasting the leaves with a little oil and salt to make a light, crunchy, chip-like thing. I tried it last night and it was DELICIOUS! I wanted more. I think we'll definitely do that to the rest of the bunch. I'm not sure if you can find salad savoy in a grocery store, but I'm guessing kale would be just as delicious! Try it!


No comments:

Post a Comment