Thursday, September 20, 2012

Apple Squares

I made these today. I don't know if you are a Taylor unless you like these. They always remind me of Grandma Graham. I don't know if any of you checked the stove top in her kitchen first thing whenever we arrived at her house to see what delicious treat she made for us that day or not, but I did. And when it was apple squares, I think I was the most excited. Probably most of you already have the recipe, but if you don't, you should because they are delicious. They are a little time consuming, but if you're looking for something to do some Saturday during this apple season, here you go...

Crust:
2 1/2 c flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 c shortening

Stir together flour, sugar, salt. Cut in shortening. Beat 1 egg yolk and add enough milk to make 2/3 c  liquid. Add to flour/fat mixture. Roll out half of the dough and place on jelly roll pan with sides. Sprinkle with 2 handfuls crushed corn flakes on dough (this is to absorb some liquid as it cooks I think).

Filling:
1 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp flour (to thicken if desired)
8-10 peeled, sliced apples

Mix together. Spread over crust. Roll out top crust and place over filling. Beat 1 egg white until stiff and spread over crust. Bake at 400 for 40-50 minutes. Make a thin glaze or 1 c powdered sugar and water and drizzle over crust. Cut into squares and serve. *Canned peaches can be used instead of apples but thickening would be needed. 

Enjoy! Mine were definitely not as pretty as Mom's and Grandma's but they were still good. Maybe someday I'll cook like them...maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment