Monday, October 28, 2013

Caramel Sauce

Remember when Mom would buy that caramel to dip apples in? Was it Marzettis or something? That always made my day and I'm sure I ate more than my share. Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this sauce is better! It is SO GOOD! The recipe says it is syrup but I'm not sure what you would put it on as syrup...it's practically candy. But on apples...it is amazing! 

Caramel Syrup
3/4 c. buttermilk (I just put a little vinegar into regular milk)
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 stick real butter
2 Tbsp. corn syrup
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine buttermilk, sugar, butter, corn syrup, and baking soda in a large pot.
Bring ingredients to a boil and reduce heat to low (as long as it’s still bubbling, you’re okay). Cook, stirring very frequently, for 8-9 minutes (mine took more like 12-15)
When it’s done, it should take on this luscious golden-brown color. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
There will be foam on top but just give it a good stir.

No comments:

Post a Comment